Jan. 25 – 26: daily police calls

Moose Jaw Police Service. -- (Crystal Schick/Times-Herald)

It’s been a relatively quiet 24 hours for the Moose Jaw Police Service. The police responded to 37 calls between 7 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 25 and 7 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 26, although most appear to have been fairly routine police business. There were only four 9-1-1 calls and four assists provided to external agencies.

Shortly before 9 a.m. on Wednesday, police responded to a semi-truck which got stuck under the train tressle on Fourth Avenue North West. The Times-Herald was on the scene for some of the repairs yesterday, which police originally estimated to have resulted in some $75,000 in damages to the truck’s trailer. However, that estimate has since been bumped to $100,000. Yesterday, it looked as though the trailer’s roof had been peeled back like a tin can, the sides of the trailer crumpled inward near the top. Police issued a ticket to the driver for failing to observe his designated truck route.

An hour or so later, police were called to the 600 block of Athabasca Street West for a parking complaint. A vehicle on the street was unregistered and as such, police towed it.

It was a vehicle heavy morning, as shortly after noon police were called to the zero block of Wood Lily Drive for a hit and run that happened a day earlier. Police say there was damage to the car’s front, its tires, as well as its electronics. They were able to find the driver of the vehicle that did the damage and police helped facilitate the name exchange. Police explained to the Times-Herald that many of these incidents don’t result in charges because they’re often not done with intent.

Ten minutes past three in the afternoon, police attended to a home on the 1100 block of Second Avenue North East to deal with an “unwanted guest.” Apparently, the police presence was enough to encourage the unwanted visitor to move it along.

At 6:11 p.m., someone delivered a wallet they found to the police station. Officers were able to return it to the owner.

Just after 8 p.m., there was a collision between a car in motion and a parked car in front of the police station. The out-of-province car collided with the parked vehicle causing roughly $3,000 in estimated damages. Thankfully nobody was injured and the damage was not so extensive as to require a tow.

Shortly after 9 p.m., police handled another car incident, this one during a routine traffic stop at the intersection of Second Avenue North East and Manitoba Street East. Police found a driver operating a vehicle who should not have been: the person was under a court-ordered driving prohibition and had their license suspended by SGI. Officers charged the person under the Criminal Code with driving while disqualified, driving while disqualified under the Highway Traffic Safety Act, and with operating an unregistered vehicle. They seized the car for 30 days and the person is scheduled to appear in court at a later date.

At approximately 9:30 p.m., police were called to the 1300 block of Twelfth Avenue South West for reports that someone was flashing a laser pointer into another perosn’s home. They found the offending laser pointer operator and advised him about approved uses of laser pointers.

At a quarter to 11 p.m., police were called to the 300 block of Fairford Street West for reports of multiple people yelling. Despite searching the area, the vocal cohort was not found.

Police reported no overnight calls, indicating that the majority were either fairly mundane, routine police tasks and/or too sensitive to release as of yet to the public.